I wrote a long article about local servers. It may be helpfull for developers. Moreover newbies can easily start testing plugins or themes without crushing your production websites.
There I’m discussing old solutions like Mamp Pro, mini servers such as PHP internal server and Grunt (Gulp) webservers for static content. And acquaint readers with VVV (Varying Vagrant Vagrants).
Article explains in details how to work with VVV:
- How VVV works and which apps are used (VirtualBox and Vagrant).
- How you can start with VVV with a 5 minutes.
- Usage of internal tools (XDebug, PHP My Admin).
- Adding new sites in VVV with one simple command without downloading zip archives or manual configuring Nginx, MySQL (vv utility).
- The folder mounting (great for developers who use repositories for own projects).
- How to save your own configuration of VVV (and update it).